Saturday, 9 July 2016

Newsflash


He's really rather good that Charlie Chaplin fellow.

At the grand old age of 39, last night I watched my first Charlie Chaplin film, The Kid.  Shame on me.  Not wishing to make the same mistake with the minibeasts, we all watched it together last night.  A most welcome change from the endless Pixar/Disney fare.  I could wax on about how brilliant The Kid is.  But that would seem rather unnecessary.  I do want to record how much all the kids loved it.  Nell giggled whenever she saw the Tramp's trademark shuffling walk, Owen liked the happy ending (you really yearn for it in this film) and Matilda pretty much cried the whole way through.  She proved very sensitive to the expressiveness of the film.  Actually, I cried several times too.  It led into some interesting discussions about what makes a "real" dad, as opposed to what the kids term a "papa de naissance".  It also blew their minds somewhat that the film was made before their great grandmother was born. 

The idea to watch the film came from the BFI's list of the 50 films you should see before the age of 14.  We've done 12, so still a fair way to go!

This morning Matilda fashioned herself a moustache, found a cane and set about creating her own (naked) tramp.  Naked because it's so damn hot the kids are naked all the time at the moment.  But I love that they were so inspired.  And I loved that while I was watching Chaplin and Coogan I was so completely absorbed in their story that I forgot the stifling heat and everything else besides.  Having a good cry can be good for the soul.


2 comments:

  1. You're making me jealous with all this talk of hot weather! It's peeing it down here, want to swap?

    I'm hoping for a lot less peeing next week for the little ride to Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list! I'm going to start exposing Margot to more movies (instead of her just watching tv shows on Netflix)
    Disclosure: I have never watched The Kid. Shame on me!
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.