Wednesday, 7 May 2014

Oshigh


For my birthday this year I asked, as always, for money towards time away with my fella and this year my fella organized a mystery weekend.  It wasn't until we arrived at the airport that I found out we were heading for Oslo!  He's a very clever fella - it was glorious.  I love Scandinavia: the cold, the freshness, the space, the general all-round loveliness of the people.  Oslo was no exception.  In fact the Norwegians are so lovely they even build little steps to help the ducks get out of the ponds.


It's also cripplingly expensive, but that just meant we had a great excuse to do what I love doing best.  Walking.  We walked everywhere, unhindered by traffic (because in Oslo there is no traffic), and everywhere there was:

Sculpture

From an exhibition of sculpture designed by children.


Greenery and flowers

Some flowers squeezed in down the middle of the road.

There were tulips absolutely everywhere!

Believe it or not, this photo was taken in the heart of the city.

Architecture

The stunning Opera House

Museums
Crazy people eating ice-cream (it's too cold crazy people)
Cafes with blankets to enjoy the sun but keep out the cold



Teeny tiny dogs (why Oslo why???)
SPACE

I'm a long-time lover of Munch so I was very excited about getting to visit the Munch museum though actually I think what I enjoyed most was seeing the Norwegian Impressionists in the National Gallery.  At the risk of sounding like a spoilt European, you can (sort of, ssshhhhh, sacrilege) tire of seeing endless Monet et al.  So discovering the Impressionists of the north and their more cristalline beauty was a breath of fresh air.  But my favourite discovery was the Neoromantic painter, Harald Sohlberg.

Winter night in Rondane

And my absolute favourite place was Vigeland Park, full of - can you guess? - sculpture and greenery.  Sculpture by Gustav Vigeland.  Beautiful, simple, accessible sculpture.  I was entranced, I felt he captured human emotions so perfectly and was able to communicate them with understanding and clarity.  I took a lot of photos.  I will share merely a select few.









This one reminds me of Matilda.

Yet again I was reminded of how important it is to simply be a couple every once in a while.  I realized how little time I spend day to day fully concentrated on the two of us and finding the time to do that allowed me to fall in love with my Fanf all over again.  And that's nice, isn't it.

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous surprise destination!!!! I love your pictures. Let's Skype!

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.