Thursday, 4 April 2013

My little princesse



As I've said before, I am trying to bring up the minibeasts in as gender neutral a way as possible. I know there are undeniable differences between the sexes but I think those real differences manifest themselves later. So when Owen asks if he can put on his sister's new princess earrings, I say yes. And the tiara and the necklace. When he wants to put on her princess dress, I do him up at the back. When he asks Matilda to paint his nails, I let them get on with it. When he insists that I call him Belle or once, Riding Hood, I comply. When he asks me to put his hair in a pigtail, I do it, "Now I'm girl like you mummy". Being a girl is all about hair accessories for Owen.



Owen's absolute hero is Matilda. He wants to be like Matilda and Matilda wants to be a princess. Matilda's teacher, Cati, very kindly donated some princess dresses to us (one of the advantages of the new school I didn't expect).  So yesterday, after school, oh joy of joys just look at their happy little faces, they got to dress up at the same time.  My two little princesses together.



Recently Owen has gone public with his gender-bendyness. At the Maison de la Parentalité (our local playgroup) he invariably heads for the dressing-up box to fish out the lurid pink dress.  A number of the other parents have dubiously admired my "courage", explaining that transvestism is rather frowned upon in France (I had noticed).  I witheringly reply that I don't think it should be considered transvestism at two.  When Fanf and I went away for the weekend recently (another backlogged post) we left the minibeasts with the Stephs, who delighted in sending us these photos.  Luckily the belle famille is proving itself to be less conservative than your average Frog.

 

Papi James and Papi Mike worry. I do not. Owen loves dancing and singing and baking. But he also loves cars & trains & boats, and dinosaurs, and climbing on things, and throwing himself about, and jumping off things, and water, and books, and jigsaws, and collecting random bits of nature and all kinds of other wonderful things that the world has to offer a curious and uninhibited two-year-old. And when my warm, open and expressive little princess throws his arms around my kneck and tells me "I love you so so so so so so much mummy" I want him to stay like that forever.


6 comments:

  1. I love your two princesses! Isn't being a princess magical? I support your encouragement of your Princesse O. He looks so lovely and that purple dress suits him "à merveille"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Jen, O is very happy to know his future belle maman approves ;)

      Delete
  2. I remember wearing the odd dress as a child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and look at you. You're totally normal ;) Owen is more an odd child who wears a dress.

      Delete
  3. I think you might have budding Eddie Izzard.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that would be fabulous x)

      Delete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.