Monday, 1 April 2013

Carnaval Cagarols

What a difference a year makes.  We enjoyed the Carnaval Occitan this year as fully-paid up members of the Occitan community.  The theme was totemic animals.  Matilda's class were dressed as snails and because I helped make the costumes Owen and I got one too.




Extremely fetching maternity wear.  Actually, I thought this rather resembled the surgical gowns they make you put on in France when you arrive to evict your little squatter.  I was thinking I might keep my bumble bee snail creation and bring it along once my Last But Not Least decides it's time to join us on the outside.  I think such attire might lighten the mood.  I would of course also bring the hat.


This year we also helped build the Carnaval king, the Caramentrant.  Weeks of hard work, up in smoke in three minutes.  But if he takes all the bad with him, I really don't mind.

The nicest thing about this year's carnaval was just how many friends we bumped into.  Both from the school and elsewhere.  I know I've said it before but it feels like we've begun to plant roots in the last twelve months and I think it's the first time in my life that I've really felt like part of a community.  I like it.


2 comments:

  1. How lovely! You all make beautiful snails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the costumes! They are quite colourful and huge. I wish I would feel like I belong to a community. Maybe when Margot begins school...

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.