Wednesday, 16 January 2013

(Mini) Greedy Bird Baking Enterprise: Coconut carrot slices


Sorry, I seem to spend most of my time writing about cake. There are worse fates I suppose. I did quite a lot of research this week into healthy, sugarfree, no fat no fun cakes to bake. For the sake of my unborn mini-beast. And then I thought, hell, unborn mini-beast should start as it means to go on. And we made these, which are high fat, high sugar, high fun. Several commenters on the BBC Good Food website complained that there was too much butter. One for the Canteau-Pilbeams, I thought.

There are carrots in it.

It is so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so. So good. And because it's quite a large cake I had to eat quite a lot of it so that I could fit what was left in my cake box. The mini-beasts helped. A bit.

We've been stuck at home today with a disappointing sort of freezing sludge endlessly drooping from the sky. The kids have loved it! Jigsaws, plasticine, games, indoor dents, nailpainting, dancing. Topped off with tea and cake. As always down here in the sunny south, it's a blessed relief to get a stay-at-home day every once in a while.



Nicely insulated with coconut and carrot cake I decided we couldn't miss the chance to experience what became real snow and I persuaded the kids to go for a walk. They loved it! There were proper big flakes that stick to your eyelashes. They had a whale of a time throwing snowballs at me. Not at each other. Just at me. One hit my bum. It was very wet, cold and unpleasant. They laughed.

I love the snow. I love the freshness of snow air. The mini-beasts were giddy with excitement. So was I.


2 comments:

  1. Snow??? In Beziers??? Even if it's just a sprinkle, it counts as snow. What fun! I'm glad that my Canadian weather magic works ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want snow get over to the UK tout suite.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.