Sunday, 20 May 2012

(Mini) Greedy Bird Baking Enterprise: Sweet and Simple Strawberry Cupcakes


What to do? It's chucking it down and everyone's got a serious case of the couch spuds.

Cake and Disney.


We still have amazing strawbs on the market so we're still making the most of it. I've tried strawberries in cake before but this is the first time it's really worked well. You have to mush the strawberries before putting them in the mixture, which not only provides an always welcome opportunity to mush but makes the cakes a beautiful colour. And the mixture is so simple. Look how short is is:


This is my kind of recipe (from here). There were instructions to "decorate pinkly" and the photo shows glacé icing. I hate glacé icing. I need me some fat with my suger. So I made the strawberry buttercream from this recipe which is utterly utterly. There are few things I would not eat if they were slathered with this buttercream. I recently got myself a cheap and cheerful piping bag from Super U as well so I did some of that fancy swirly icing malarkey. Matilda was very excited.



Then we watched Peter Pan. I once again bridled at the way early Disney films portray women (virgins or whores) and then promptly fell asleep.

4 comments:

  1. So, when are you going to open your cupcake shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes dream it would be fun to open a stall on my beloved market... but I'm not a proper "come buy my wares" baker. These are soooooo easy. And I have never piped icing in my life before. I always thought it was hugely complicated to do. Turns out, not so much. Looks pretty swanky though ;) xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow, they look amazing. I had a similar cup cake at the posh cafe in between Heals and Habitat on Tottenham Court Road a few weeks ago and yours look better! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I love a bit of abject flattery, merci xxx

      Delete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.