Wednesday, 25 April 2012

(Mini) Greedy Bird Baking Enterprise: Honey, Rhubarb and Strawberry Bread


Matilda wanted to make strawberry cake. There are lovely sweet local strawbs on the market so I thought this was a good idea. And it seemed a bit healthier than some recent GBBE efforts. When I started looking for recipes I came across one here that claimed to be "wholesome" (i.e. replaces sugar with honey) and combined fresh rhubarb, which we also have on the market at the moment. Fresh. Wholesome. Bread*. Yes, yes, yes, get thee behind us Easter chocolate orgy.

I used the opportunity to give Matilda her first go at chopping. Unsurprizingly she took to "couping" with alacrity.


The bread is utterly delish and no doubt would be extremely healthy if I were capable of eating it with any kind of moderation.

I'm not.

I might even have followed the Wholesome Cook's advice, ok, ok, I did follow her advice to drizzle some maple syrup over the whole affair. Drizzle, downpour, who's to say... Super wholesome.

* Because I actually used the Food Nouveau dairy-ahoy version of the recipe. We need butter in our Vendéen housebarelyholdingtogether. And this recipe calls itself bread, which just sounds even more wholesome. But the Food Nouveau link will no longer load, sorry.

4 comments:

  1. Is there anything you bake that isn't yummy? Or do you simply not write about your disasters in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, do I crow too much...? If you remember, I had plenty of disasters at the beginning of the GBBE, though none that were inedible. And I still do not see eye to eye with brownies. Perhaps I've got better. I'd like to think I've got better. It would be a bit depressing if I hadn't got better! But remember also I only ever try easy recipes. I did have a sort of disaster when Katie was here, in fact it was some muffins I baked to celebrate her arrival. I thought they were going to be inedible. While I was waiting for her, I wrote a draft post and everything, I was quite excited, I thought I'd finally done it! But turned out the muffins were entirely edible, if not exactly as they should have been. And that just didn't make for a very interesting post.

      Delete
  2. It's good to know that you are human ;)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Human indeed. And with very low standards ;)

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.