Sunday, 11 March 2012

Greedy Bird Birthday Cake


Yesterday we had all the family round to celebrate my birthday. We... oh who cares what we did, I want to talk to you about cake. Normally when I make cake I take into consideration the tastes of those who will be consuming the cake. The one time when I can really be selfish is my own birthday. I don't care if anyone else likes the cake. Indeed, it is perhaps most devoutly to be wished that no one else likes the cake. Bearing this in mind, I decided to hunt down a recipe for Parsnip Cake, which I tried once years ago and loved. I found this recipe for Parsnip and Maple Syrup Cake, which sounded like a spiritual experience in the making for me. Actually the making was an olfactory delight. The cake contains parsnip, apple, mixed spice and orange (zest and juice), so the smells just as I was preparing the mix were amazing. Then the odours warmed and swelled as the cake baked in the oven. And the taste... hmmm-mmmm, delish.

In my haste to taste the cake I forgot to take a photograph before cutting. But here it is:


The recipe states that Parsnip Cake is the new Carrot Cake. What nonsense. The world and my tummy are big enough for both.

In other news, not that I want to gloat about how wonderful my fella is, but - what to do? - he is! On Friday night he took me on a surprise visit to the theatre at Béziers' most innovative performance space, Sortie Ouest.


We saw Copies (A Number) by Caryl Churchill. I felt smug because I saw and enjoyed the original production in London, with Michael "Dumbledore" Gambon and Daniel "Bond" Craig. I also enjoyed the French version. I love Caryl Churchill and A Number is a great play that explores identity, grief, the nature vs nuture debate, the ethics of cloning, but most simply and powerfully the father-son relationship.

Here are some quotes I like:

War's one of those things, don't you think, where everyone always thinks they're in the right have you noticed that? Nobody ever says we're the bad guys, we're going to beat shit out of the good guys.

We've got ninety-nine per cent the same genes as any other person. We've got ninety per cent the same as a chimpanzee. We've got thirty percent the same as a lettuce. Does that cheer you up at all? I love about the lettuce. It makes me feel I belong.

Your father's not young when you're small is he, he's not any age, he's more a power.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful birthday surprise. Is Fanf good at keeping surprises? Your cake looks delish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is. It was.

      Lucky old me :) xxx

      Delete
  2. That cake looks delicious! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.