Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Of things fragrant and things frightening


My dad turned up today with a large branch of bay leaves. I made my first ever recipe (The Hairy Biker's Mum's everyday fish pie with cheese mash) using bay leaves last week. I think that means I now qualify as a grown up. Marvelling to my dad at this culinary staple which, it seems, is as common as salt and pepper for grown ups who grew up in a more timely fashion, he offered to bring me some from his garden. I thought this was jolly nice and when he arrived I hung them up in the kitchen, where they looked most pretty to mine eye. And then as I tootled about my daily business I started to notice the smell. They smell amazing. It makes me and my nose most cheerful whenever we pass by.

In other news, I sent off my first submission to a literary agent. Obviously my book isn't ready but I decided it never would be so I might as well get on with it. I'm a bit frightened. My daydream of choice for the last three years (oh, who am I kidding, for the last twenty years) has been that someone would publish my work. What happens when I have to find a new daydream? Or worse, a job.

2 comments:

  1. Yes bay leaves are a cupboard staple. But don't worry you don't have to start being a grown up, especially as they were given to you ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herbs do smell lovely. We have a little herb garden , conveniently located on our patio. Herb season is quite short here and I made sure to add a dash of rosemary or thyme or basil to everything we cook this summer!
    As for the book: congrats for jumping in!
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.