Monday, 4 July 2011

From me to you


Inspired, and a little shamed, by Jen's post last week about letter-writing I sat myself down and wrote her a letter. Which just goes to show, you can always find the time to do something if you really want to. Some other things might have slipped down, or off, the To Do List but no one died. Clearly there was nothing so important that I couldn't take a couple of hours out to share my thoughts and feelings with Jen.

I love writing letters. For me it is the most intimate form of communication. I will pour out my heart in a letter, perhaps even more so than face to face, because (as I already said to Jen) writing a letter to a dear friend almost feels like writing to yourself. After reading Jen's post I vowed (vowed, who am I? D'Artagnan??) to make an effort to start corresponding through letters again. I like blogging, I love chatting on the phone, I adore having hugs after sharing a cup of tea, a piece of cake or a glass of wine. But none of these things replaces letters, the excitement of recognising the handwriting as the envelope plops through my door and my sense of connection as I snuggle up on the sofa to devour and then reread and savour the thoughts and feelings of my fellow epistolarian.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think a happy face sun and flowers are accepted postage in Canada :P
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.