Monday, 11 July 2011

Bex's Bookshelves: the Wellsathon


Courtesy of the bountiful MiK, I have just read The Time Machine, The Invisible Man and The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. All thought-provoking reads. Wells is a lot funnier than I thought he'd be (especially The Invisible Man) and I liked his non-sentimental, even disdainful, approach to the human race. All three books are a lesson in humility. My favourite was The War of the Worlds. A genuinely frightening read.

Wells is not really a quotable writer but the following quote from The War of the Worlds gave me a bit of a giggle.

"She had never been out of England before, she would rather die than trust herself friendless in a foreign country, and so forth. She seemed, poor woman, to imagine that the French and the Martians might prove very similar."

I know I have given Wells rather short shrift in this post given the way his books burst with ideas. But I am very much looking forward to discussing him with the far more erudite than I, MiK.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read any Wells but it it must have taken him a while to write his books with a quill. Perhaps it was woven from his fine moustache hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that War of the Worlds is genuinely frighening. We must discuss the whys and wherefores sometime soon. Yours with breasts a-bouncing bountifully, copious kisses, MiK xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.