Monday, 20 June 2011

Personality


In search of inspiration I have been digging into The Paris Review Interviews, Vol. 1, that Nao and Anna gave me for my 30th birthday. I should have done it ages ago.

I sent my collection of scribblings off to a couple of friends recently for some much needed feedback and Jen got back to me today with a most encouraging response. Many were the comments that warmed my cockles but in particular my heart skipped when she told me that my personality shines in the book.

Here's what Truman Capote had to say about personality in an interview with Pati Hill in 1957:

"No, I don't think that style is consciously arrived at, any more than one arrives at the colour of one's eyes. After all, you style is you. At the end the personality of the writer has so much to do with the work. The personality has to be humanly there. Personality is a debased word, I know, but it's what I mean. The writer's individual humanity, his word or gesture toward the world, has to appear almost like a character that makes contact with the reader."

So, according to Jen and Truman Capote, I'm on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.