Saturday, 7 May 2011

Bex's Bookshelves: Started Early, Took My Dog, by Kate Atkinson



Contrived. Ridiculous. Hackneyed. And I could feel her grinding away to be funny. I don't want to see someone trying to be funny. I just want to laugh.

The critics loved it. Maybe I am an idiot.

The one thing I did like was the poem by Emily Dickinson at the end. So I shall quote that rather than wasting time on Atkinson's "Get me, and my witty and unusual turn of phrase" prose.

'Hope' is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I've heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of Me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm beginning to think it's the critics that are idiots if they praise something to the skies. Early Atkinson was fab - perhaps she's coasting now. Sorry to have inflicted it on you - I'll have to read it now as penance!

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.