Thursday, 3 March 2011

Reasons to be miserable: We've got the lurgy

Full-on lurgy, people backing away from your coughing, hawking and spluttering lurgy, can't get out of bed lurgy... I wish! Wrigglesworth is unable to sleep for longer than half an hour at a stretch during the night, and last night we all finished in the Monster's room, Ww and I on the mattress on the floor. I'm not good with ill, I don't very often get ill and when I am, I prefer to ignore the ill and carry on. And for a couple of days I managed. But I woke up this morning to find my eyes gummed together and ignoring the fact that I couldn't separate my eyelids without applying a chisel was difficult. That and the little rollercoaster of ache that runs from my neck, behind my ears, over my temples and back down through my nose to my neck. Wrigglesworth is being very stoical during the day and smiles charmingly through the snot. The Monster's only symptoms are a bit of a runny nose and a bit of an outbreak of naughtiness. In what, in hindsight, would seem bad timing I decided to launch into potty training again today. By lunchtime we had three soggy pairs of knickers ("knickit" in Monsterspeak) and one filled with a stinky little Monster dumpling. This particular "knickit" went straight in the bin and I washed the child. Although again, in hindsight, maybe that should have been the opposite way round.

Thank heavens that Ben is here. Poor Ben. Still, I think we have thoroughly motivated him to set off on his travels again (hopefully sans lurgy). He is a shimmering, glowing star in the uncle firmament.*


*No prizes but a pat on the back and a pleasing feeling of smugness to anyone who can identify from whence I mangled this quote.

2 comments:

  1. I can't answer your literary question but am sending you get-well vibes through the intertubes. And stop the potty-training, you crazy cow. Apply television. Good luck. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot, Jen and I were also sick most of Feb. Wasn't too fun!

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.