Thursday, 27 January 2011

Give us some fish, we love fish


I thought it was Mark Twain who said that guests are like fish because they start to smell after three days but turns out it was Benjamin Franklin. You live and learn. I did find this quote by Mr. Twain, which I like:

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first.

But I wanted to talk about guests. I love having guests. This morning I had an email from our friends Tomtom and Steph who have announced they will be coming to stay the first week in May. Hooray. They have a little girl only a couple of weeks older than the Monster and I'll get to meet her for the first time. Hooray hooray. The weekend before that the lovely Katie will be gracing us with her presence (and I mean gracing most sincerely). The weekend before that the delectable MiK shall be delighting us with her inimitable company. And then in the summer the Canucks are coming, Simon (already on the intinerary warpath), Jen and Margot (Wrigglesworth's intended). How brilliant to have all these guests making the effort to come to our little hovel. They can all stay as long as they like, and if they start to smell I will gently point them in the direction of the bathroom, politely suggest some deodorant or discreetly hold my nose.

I am always incredibly grateful when people make the time and effort to come and see me/us. I understand it is an investment of both financial and organisational resources. Our current lifestyle doesn't allow for much gadding about but I would like all my lovely friends to know that once we do have some pennies, return visits are top of my To Do list.

2 comments:

  1. You have so much to look forward to! Margot can't wait feed ducks at the park (and eat lots of pains au chocolat)in the company of her future beloved.

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.