Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Les Beaux parents


I hate being a cliché but I did go through a phase, after the Monster's birth, of not being entirely comfortable with my belle maman*. When Matilda cried she used to ask me questions like:

"Don't you think she's hungry?"

To which I would be tempted to reply:

"Yes, but she's getting a bit heavy to carry around so I've decided to stop feeding her so much."

Having a baby changes your relationship with everyone around you so it's not too much of a surprise that there is a period of readjustment. Thankfully I feel we are now fully readjusted. We had the beaux parents staying with us this weekend and it was lovely to see them and to see my mini-monsters having so much fun with their Papi James and Mamilo. And not just because it gave me a break. Oh ok, mostly because it gave me a break.

In any case, I am very happy to no longer be a cliché. That said, that they live a 6-hour drive away is by no means a bad thing either...

* Where in English we say mother, or father or sister in law, the French say they are beautiful, ma belle soeur or mon beau père. Charming but the English version is more honest. Or maybe the French are being ironic.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think your a cliche. I think if you look at most in laws there is always an udjustment period. Especially when you add babies into the mix.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still getting "adjusted" to my belle-famille... It's a long process (even after 6 years!). But I can now honestly say that i'm starting to like them (one less than the others, but that's alright).
    What's the name of Fanf's mom?
    Glad to read that it was a lovely weekend visit and that they didn't cause too much damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fanf's mum is called Marie-Laurence, it was decided by the first grandkids (in reality I suspect by the first children to produce grandkids) that she would be Mamilo, we just follow on in the wake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Bex, this is my first visit here. I can totally relate to this post. I have a great relationship with my mother-in-law but nevertheless, things have changed since my son was born. I find it hard to manage how often his grandparents want to see him. It's hard to not upset anyone but we are (still) learning how to adjust to this new relationship. Bisous

    ReplyDelete

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.