Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Bex's Bookshelves: the earth hums in b flat, by Mari Strachan


My mum passed this on to me. Normally not the type of thing I'd pick up, it looks like chick lit and there's a review from Marie Claire on the cover. But actually, it was quite good. How's that for an insightful review. It's set in late 1950s Wales and is told from the point of view of 13 year old Gwenni, who's a bit weird (she likes books, why is loving literature so often a symbol of weirdness?). The book follows Gwenni's discovery of those secrets that everyone in a small community knows about but noone mentions, including depression, infidelity and murder. In fact if you take away Gwenni's quirky voice the lives of those around her, and her own, are bleak. The book is unsentimental and engaging. As I said, really quite good.

2 comments:

Many thank yous if you're taking the time to leave a comment. You are most lovely in my sight.